Friday, 17 June 2011
A few historical artifacts still exists on Bukit Puteri till this present day. Among them are a big bell, cannon, a flag pole, light house, graves and a defence wall. However, long time ago there were many cannons at Bukit Puteri. The cannons were believed to have originated from Spain, Portugal and the Malay States and were given names such as Seri Jamlor, Seri Buih, Seri Johor and Laila Majnun. The bell that still exists today was built during the reign of Sultan Zainal Abidin III in the year 1908. The bell was made from yellow copper, the circumference and height of the bell were 228 centimeters and the weight was 175 kilograms. The bell was sounded when there were rampage, fire or enemies attacking the state. It was believed that the bell was guarded by a boy from the royal family. The boy job was to sound the bell if any emergency or natural disasters occurred.
A cave known as Gua Puteri can also be found here. It was used as a place to keep the gun powder, stone and iron bullets. The flag pole that is on top of Bukit Puteri was used to raise the royal flag when there were any royal ceremonies held. The weight of the flag pole was around 18 meters high. The lighthouse on the peak of Bukit Puteri functioned as a guide for fishermen and sailors that siles into Kuala Sungai Terengganu. During the reign of Tengku Umar, he built a palace called the Green Palace at the foot of Bukit Puteri but was burned down in 1882. He built a new palace near the site of the Green Palace and was named Istana Maziah which still exit until today.
Nowadays, Bukit Puteri is used as a firing range for cannon when royal ceremonies are held. Besides that, Bukit Puteri has been developed into a tourist attraction.